The ORION project is developing a decision support tool prototype called COACH (an acronym for Component Option Analysis in Cooperation with Humans), where the different research results of the project are integrated and validated, including different decision processes, estimation methods, and context models.
The software is available as open source on GitHub (https://github.com/orion-research/coach).
A public instance of COACH was setup to allow other researchers and practitioners to experiment with the tool without having to install any software, but this instance is no longer maintained.
The GRADE taxonomy, developed within the project, provides a structured way of characterising decisions for software-intensive systems through the lenses of five top-level elements, namely Goals (G), Roles (R), Assets (A), Decision methods and criteria (D) and Environment (E). These five elements are refined in detail to provide a common terminology that can be used by researchers and practitioners to document decisions and identify appropriate elements that could affect decisions during the decision-making process.
Try out describing your architectural design decision cases using the GRADE canvas, available for download in: 1) MS Word, 2) PDF.
PROMOpedia is an online encyclopedia of software PROperty MOdels based on a web-content management system, offering a central point where software qualities and their evaluation methods are collected.
More information is available at the PROMOpedia website (https://www.mrtc.mdh.se/promopedia/).
Findings from ORION are primarily reported through scientific publications, but we also share our results at workshops and dedicated industry days. Furthemore, we develop COACH under an open source licence.
- C.-E. Mols, N. Martin-Vivaldi, M. Werther, M. Ahlgren, K. Wnuk. "Principles of Industrial Open Source", 2018
E. Alégroth, T. Gorschek, K. Petersen and M. Mattsson. "Characteristics that affect preference of decision models for asset selection: An industrial questionnaire survey”, Software Quality Journal, 2019.
- P. Chatzipetrou, E. Papatheocharous, K. Wnuk, M. Borg, E. Alégroth and T. Gorschek. "Component attributes and their importance in decisions and component selection”, Software Quality Journal, 2019.
M. Borg, P. Chatzipetrou, K. Wnuk, E. Alégroth, T. Gorschek, E. Papatheocharous, S. Shah, J. Axelsson. "Selecting component sourcing options: A survey of software engineering’s broader make-or-buy decisions", Information and Software Technology (2019)
- T. Olsson, K. Wnuk, T. Gorschek. "An empirical study on decision making for quality requirements". Journal of Systems and Software, 149, 217-233, 2019
- E. Papatheocharous, K. Wnuk, K. Petersen, S. Sentilles, A. Cicchetti, T. Gorschek, and S. Shah: "The GRADE taxonomy for supporting decision-making of asset selection in software-intensive system development", Information & Software Technology 100: pp. 1-17, 2018.
- U. Franke and F. Ciccozzi. "Characterization of trade-off preferences between non-functional properties", Information Systems, 74, pp. 86-102, May 2018.
- K. Petersen, D. Badampudi, S. Shah, K. Wnuk, T. Gorschek, E. Papatheocharous, J. Axelsson, S. Sentilles, I. Crnkovic, A. Cicchetti. “Choosing Component Origins for Software Intensive Systems: In-house, COTS, OSS or Outsourcing? – A Case Survey”, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 44(3), pp. 237-261, March 2018.
- D. Badampudi, K. Wnuk, C. Wohlin, U. Franke, D. Smite, and A. Cicchetti, "A Decision-making Process-line for Selection of Software Asset Origins and Components", Journal of Systems and Software, Available, 135, pp. 88-104, 2018.
- J. Vilela, J. Castro, L. Martins, and T. Gorschek, "Integration Between Requirements Engineering and Safety Analysis: A Systematic Literature Review", Journal of Systems and Software, 125, pp. 68-92, 2017.
- D. Weyns, R. Mirandola, and I. Crnkovic. "Introduction to the special issue on new frontiers in software architecture", Journal of Systems and Software, 130, pp. 57-58, 2017.
- M. Borg, K. Wnuk, B. Regnell, and P. Runeson. "Supporting Change Impact Analysis Using a Recommendation System: An Industrial Case Study in a Safety-Critical Context", IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 43(7), October, 2016.
- F. Ciccozzi, J. Feljan, J. Carlson, and I. Crnkovic, ”Architecture optimization: Speed or accuracy? Both!”, Software Quality Journal, October, 2016.
- L. Martins and T. Gorschek. "Requirements Engineering for Safety-critical Systems: A Systematic Literature Review", Information and software technology, 75, July, 2016.
- D. Badampudi, C. Wohlin and K. Petersen, "Software Component Decision-making: In-house, OSS, COTS or Outsourcing - A Systematic Literature Review”, Journal of Systems and Software, 121, pp. 105-124, 2016.
- F. Ciccozzi, I. Crnkovic, D. Di Ruscio, I. Malavolta, P. Pelliccione, and R. Spalazzese. “Model-driven engineering: a facilitator for engineering mission-critical IoT systems”, IEEE Software, 34(1) pp. 46-53, 2016.
- I. Crnkovic, T. Vale, E. Almeida, P. Neto, Y. Cavalcanti, and S. Meiraa. ”Twenty-eight years of component-based software engineering", Journal of Systems and Software, 111, pp. 128-148, 2016.
- P. Lago, P., S. A. Kocak, I. Crnkovic, and B. Penzenstadler. “Framing Sustainability as a Property of Software Quality”, Communications of the ACM, 58(10), pp. 70-78, 2015.
- M. Borg, T. Olsson, U. Franke, and S. Assar. "Digitalization of Swedish Government Agencies - A Perspective Through the Lens of a Software Development Census", In Proc. of the 40th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE SEIS Track), 2018.
- T. Olsson and K. Wnuk, “QREME -Quality Requirements Management Model for Supporting Decision-Making”, In Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality, March, 2018.
- S. Sentilles, F. Ciccozzi, and E. Papatheocharous, "PROMOpedia: A web-content management-based encyclopedia of software property models" In Proc. of the 40th International Conference on Software Engineering - Demonstrations track, 2018.
- G. Campeanu, J. Carlson, S. Sentilles, "Allocation Optimization for Component-based Embedded Systems with GPUs", In Proc. of the 44th Euromicro Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications, 2018. *** Distinguished paper ***
- P. Chatzipetrou, E. Alégroth, E. Papatheocharous, M. Borg, T. Gorschek and K. Wnuk, "Component selection in Software Engineering - Which attributes are the most important in the decision process?", In Proc. of the 44th Euromicro Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications, 2018. *** Distinguished paper ***
- M. Borg, T. Olsson, U. Franke, and S. Assar. "Digitalization of Swedish Government Agencies - A Perspective Through the Lens of a Software Development Census", In Proc. of the 40th International Conference on Software Engineering, May 2018.
- D. Callele, K. Wnuk, and B. Penzenstadler. "New Frontiers for Requirements Engineering", In Proc. of the 25th International Requirements Engineering Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, Sep 2017.
- M. Borg, I. Lennerstad, R. Ros, and E. Bjarnason. "On Using Active Learning and Self-Training when Mining Performance Discussions on Stack Overflow", In Proc. of the 25th Int'l Conference on Evaluation and Assessment in Software Engineering (EASE), Karlskrona, Sweden, June 2017.
- M. Borg, E. Alégroth, and P. Runeson, "Software Engineers' Information Seeking Behavior in Change Impact Analysis - An Interview Study", In Proc. of the 25th IEEE International Conference on Program Comprehension (ICPC), Buenes Aires, Argentina, May 2017.
- A. Sandberg and I. Crnkovic. "Meeting industry-academia research collaboration challenges with agile methodologies", In. Proc. of the 39th International Conference on Software Engineering: Software Engineering in Practice Track, pp. 73-82, May 2017.
- E. Papatheocharous, K. Petersen, J. Axelsson, C. Wohlin, J. Carlson, F. Ciccozzi, S. Sentilles, and A. Cicchetti, “The GRADE Decision Canvas for Classification and Reflection on Architecture Decisions”, In Proc. of the12th Int'l Conference on Evaluation of Novel Approaches to Software Engineering (ENASE), Porto, Portugal, pp. 187-194, April 2017.
- J. Axelsson, U. Franke, J. Carlson, S. Sentilles, and A. Cicchetti. "Towards the Architecture of a Decision Support Ecosystem for System Component Selection", In Proc.of the 11th Annual IEEE Int'l.Systems Conference, Montréal, Canada pp. 371-377, April 2017.
- E. Papatheocharous and U. Franke, "Decision-making in Automotive Software Development - An Observational Study", In Proc. of the 15th International Conference on Intelligent Software Methodologies, Tools and Techniques (SOMET), Series: Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications (IOS International Publisher), Larnaca, Cyprus, September 2016.
- U. Franke. "Towards Preference Elicitation for Trade-offs between Non-functional Properties", In Proc. of the 20th IEEE Enterprise Distributed Object Conference (EDOC 2016), Vienna, Austria, September 2016.
- S. Sentilles, E. Papatheocharous, F. Ciccozzi and K. Petersen, "A Property Model Ontology", In Proc. of the 42 Euromicro Conference series on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications (SEAA), Limassol, Cyprus, August/September 2016.
- C. Wohlin, K. Wnuk, D. Smite, U. Franke, D. Badampudi and A. Cicchetti, "Supporting Strategic Decision-making for Selection of Software Assets”, In Proc. of the 7th International Conference on Software Business (ICSOB 2016), pp. 1-15, Springer LNBIP 240, Ljubljana, Slovenia, June 2016. *** Best paper award ***
- G. Sapienza, S. Sentilles, I.Crnkovic, and T. Seceleanu, “Extra-Functional, Properties Composability for Embedded Systems Partitioning”, In Proc. of the 19th International Symposium on Component Based Software Engineering (CBSE16), April 2016.
- I. Crnkovic, I. Malavolta, H. Muccini, and M. Sharaf. "On the Use of Component-Based Principles and Practices for Architecting Cyber-Physical Systems", In Proc. of the 19th International Symposium on Component Based Software Engineering (CBSE16), April 2016.
Wnuk, K., Markus Borg, and T. Gorschek. "Towards new ways of evaluating methods of supporting requirements management and traceability using signal-to-noise ratio", 14th International Conference on Evaluation of Novel Approaches to Software Engineering (ENASE), 2019.
S. Sentilles, E. Papatheocharous, F. Ciccozzi. "What do we know about software security evaluation? A preliminary study", In Proc. of the 6th International Workshop on Quantitative Approaches to Software Quality (QuASoQ), December 2018
- K. Wnuk. "Involving Relevant Stakeholders into the Decision Process about Software Components", In Proc. of the International Conference on Software Architecture Workshops, pp. 129- 132, May, 2017
- M. Borg, J-L. de la Vara, and K. Wnuk. "Practitioners' Perspectives on Change Impact Analysis for Safety-Critical Software - A Preliminary Analysis". In Proc. of the 5th International Workshop on Next Generation of System Assurance Approaches for Safety-Critical Systems (SASSUR), pp. 346-358. Trondheim, Norway, September, 2016.
- A. Cicchetti, M. Borg, S. Sentilles, K. Wnuk, J. Carlson and E. Papatheocharous, "Towards Software Assets Origin Selection Supported by a Knowledge Repository", In Proc. of the 1st Workshop on decision Making in Software ARCHitecture (MARCH), Venice, Italy, 2016.
- G. Sapienza, G. Dodig-Crnkovic, and I. Crnkovic; “Inclusion of Ethical Aspects in Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis”, In Proc. of the 1st Workshop on decision Making in Software ARCHitecture (MARCH), April 2016.
- J. Carlson, E. Papatheocharous and K. Petersen, "A Context Model for Architectural Decision Support", In the Proc. of the 1st Workshop on Decision Making in Software ARCHitecture (MARCH 2016); Venice, Italy, 2016.
- J. Maras, M. Štula, and I. Crnkovic. "Towards specifying pragmatic software reuse", In Proc. of the European Conference on Software Architecture Workshops, 2015.
- E. Papatheocharous, K. Petersen, A. Cicchetti, S. Sentilles, S. M. A. Shah, and T. Gorschek, "Decision Support for Choosing Architectural Assets in the Development of Software-intensive Systems: The GRADE Taxonomy", In Proc. of the 2015 European Conference on Software Architecture Workshops, Cavtat/Dubrovnik, Croatia, pp: 48:1-48:7, 2015.
- J. Axelsson, "Architectural Allocation Alternatives and Associated Concerns in Cyber-Physical Systems: A Case Study", In Proc. of the 2015 European Conference on Software Architecture Workshops, Cavtat/Dubrovnik, Croatia, pp. 15:1-15:6, 2015.